Welcome to FLEET
FLEET is an engaging engineering game that allows you to build, test, improve and compete in ship design. Be sure to use the engineering design process with (example handout) to organize how you design your ship and record your ships data. If you haven't played FLEET yet, click on the short video above to watch a 45-second overview. Schools taught physical science and the engineering design process with FLEET and now we hope to support your STEAM adventure at home.
Quick Start advice:
- Download FLEET:
- After you download the version, open it up and follow the prompts to install FLEET.
- Then, open up the game and let it update files until you get to the log-in screen.
- Creating your FLEET Account: Click "Don't have an account? Sign up now!"
- To create an account, use the code: fleetrocks2018
- Please enter "Mr. Rockey's Class" as your organization to compare your scores with your classmates. If you have any issues with this (or anything else), you can email us at email@example.com.
- QuickPlay! Budgets are terrible (but necessary); however, you can momentarily avoid them by choosing QuickPlay. Use the Mission Headquarters to complete the longer missions in the game.
- Drydock Interface:The + button in the upper left is for adding parts to your ship (creative design choice by us!). The ship button below that shows what is already on your ship. Hit the green play button to test out your ship.
- If you want the User Guide, click here for all 44 pages of FLEET directions!
- Testing/Mission Interface:You can steer with the arrow keys, click on the rescue boat/helicopter to launch them, and get near or hover over seamen in need of rescue!
Common Engineering Problems:
Problem: The boat is stuck in the drydock.
Solution: Ensure the boat meets mission requirements, then click the green play button.
Problem: The boat fails the Stability Test (weight is distributed incorrectly).
Solution: Usually the engine is not in the center of the boat. Also, look at the deck to see if objects are not symmetrically placed on the top of the boat.
Problem: The boat is at sea and students don ’t know what to do.
Solution: Hit “Esc” and “Restart Mission”. The directions will be in the upper left corner.
Problem: Student’s helicopter can’t rescue people.
Solution: The helicopter needs to be directly over the people, keep moving forward and the button will appear to drop the rescue equipment.
Problem: Student’s rescue boat is hard to drive.
Solution: It is! Maybe a different solution will be easier for you to use.
Interested in becoming a naval engineer?
Here is a quick Office of Naval Research program overview and you may want to consider a Science and Engineering Apprenticeship next year. It's an engaging field that allows you to practice many engineering disciplines while working in some of the most stimulating environments across the globe!
Need quick help?
FLEET is perfect for showing the forces middle school curricula cover without emphasizing the numeric calculations used in high school. Students can study how gravity affects masses up to 2 million pounds. They can see gravity's effect on the object as a whole and on different sections of the ship. This force is balanced by the force of water, which is shown in each FLEET mission as well as in the simulator embedded into the curriculum. Students understand how mass is related to force and how these work together to make objects speed up (accelerate) and slow down (decelerate).
Explore the 10-lesson middle school curriculum today!
Here is a list of the key FLEET vocabulary:
|force ||gravitational force ||drag ||friction ||force from water (normal force) |
|motion ||position ||speed ||velocity ||acceleration |
| mass ||weight ||collision ||sum of forces ||simulation |
| energy ||kinetic energy ||potential energy ||transfer of energy ||systems |
|kilograms ||Newtons ||miles per hour ||knots || |
Current FLEET Hands-On Activities:
- Strong Boat: Test your boat in a sink or pool. Can you hold up a brick? How about two?
- FLEET Speed Test: Use the FLEET video game to discover what makes a million-pound ship move fast!
- Stable Boat: Design a boat for unpredictable passengers!
- Tall Boat: Scrape the sky with your best design!
- FLEET Search & Rescue Mission: Test your naval engineering skills in this real-world simulation.
R U a gamer?
Excited about video games? We have step-by-step instructions on how to identify and submit 3D objects for FLEET'. And, we have a Blender tutorial if you want to learn how to make your own video game objects.?